quarta-feira, 6 de novembro de 2013

Soccerex Rio cancelada por protestos

Soccerex no Rio cancelada pelos protestos:  ademais do transporte caro e desumano "espremendo pessoas como em latas de sardinha..." a revolta é causada pela acultura da superficialidade manipuladora, entorpecendo e alienando a tolerar a extorsão institucionalizada: uma disfarçada escravidão:    http://padilla-luiz.blogspot.com.br/2013/06/transporte-caro-e-desumano.html



Soccerex no Rio cancelada devido aos protestos


Rio deny Soccerex claims conference cancelled because of civil unrest and instead blame them for lack of funding Tuesday, 5 November 2013, by Duncan Mackay

 

November 5 - A row has broken out following the cancellation of this year's Soccerex Global Convention, the football industry's leading business event, in Rio de Janeiro after British organisers claimed Brazilian officials had withdrawn their support because of civil unrest.

Soccerex had put out a statment which claimed they had no option but to cancel the Convention, due to be held between November 30 and December 5, because the Rio State Secretary of Sport Andre Lazaroni had taken a "political decision" to withdraw his support for the event.

The Rio State Government dismissed Soccerex's version of events, instead claiming it was the result of organisers not having enough funding to stage the event, which was expected to attract 4,500 of football's most influential figures.

"The state guarantees the security for many events in
Rio, including the upcoming New Year celebration, with millions of people on the Copacabana beach, as well as the Carnival, the World Cup next year," the statement read.

"The
Rio de Janeiro State Government encouraged the Soccerex organisers to seek culture or sport incentive funding to finance the event, but the organisers failed to do so."

Soccerex will not be bringing the world of football together in Rio de Janeiro after all following the cancellation today of this year's event

The Convention had been scheduled to take place in Rio's iconic Maracanã Stadium, immediately prior to the final World Cup draw on December 6.

But Soccerex announced late this evening the event had been cancelled.

"Preparations for the event at the Maracanã Stadium were well advanced with content planned, speakers confirmed and partnerships in place," they said in a statement.

"To be summarily cancelled in such a cavalier fashion, having hosted 33 events over five continents is extremely frustrating but nevertheless it has happened and is in contravention of all of the contractual obligations of the Rio State Government, who have been notified of our intention to instigate legal proceedings for substantial compensation."

Last summer's Confederations Cup was marred by widespread public protests at the cost of the World Cup and social inequality in Brazil, and featured numerous clashes between protesters and state authorities.

Last month there were new riots when demonstrations in
Brazil turned violent after thousands turned out to support teachers on strike for higher wages.

There were riots in Rio de Janeiro last month after protesters took to the streets to back teachers calling for higher wages
But Rio officials refuted the claim Soccerex had been cancelled due to a fresh outbreak of violence, instead claiming it was a smokescreen for financial problems faced by the London-based company founded by Duncan Revie, son of the former England and Leeds United manager Don.

"Organisers were not able to raise the funds as anticipated," said Everton Lima, press attache for
Rio's sports affairs department.

"It has nothing to do with the protests.

"The State has all the means at its disposal to host and guarantee security during any event in
Rio de Janeiro."

It was the third consecutive year that
Rio was due to stage Soccerex before it moved in 2014 to Manchester for four years.

Contact the writer of this story at 
duncan.mackay@insidethegames.biz